So on my last day off work before Christmas, after running around trying to remember a few bits and bobs I’d forgotten about again and again, like gift tags, wrapping paper and a Living Social coupon (which had been resting in my account for about 6 months), I made it to my Chiropractor appointment just in time and home to continue the task at hand..baking!
slightly super late, are the goodies- “Chocolate covered Hazelnut Thumbprint Cookies” and “Austrian Vanilla Crescents ”
Chocolate-Covered-Hazelnut / Cherry Thumbprint Cookies
A lot of cookies about 40 cookies, depending on size
Prep Time: 10 minutes + 60 minutes for the dough to chill
Time spent in oven at 170°C/340°F: 10-12 minutes
- 9 oz/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 170°C/340°F
- Weigh flour or spoon into measuring cups. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, 1/2 tsp of salt and baking powder with a wisk or wooden spoon. Then, measure butter and sugar into a seperate bowl and beat with a handmixer until well combined. Add the egg and combine until well blended. Next you can mix in vanilla extract. Finally, add the flour mixture to the butter mix and beat until combined.
- Shape the dough (slightly dampening your hands will prevent the dough from sticking to much) into a round ball, cover in clingfilm and chill for 1 hour.
- Unwrap dough, and roll small bits of dough into balls (which should fit anything between a teaspoon and tablespoon). Place balls an inch apart on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper
- For the Cherry Cookie – lightly press a glacé cherry into the middle of each ball.
- For the Hazelnut Cookie – lightly press a hazelnut into the middle of each dough ball.
- Bake at 170°C/ 340°F for approximately 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned on bottoms. Keep checking – you definitely don’t wanna overcook these. 🙂
- Cool on wire rack before melting dark and milk chocolate over a simmering pan of water. Drizzle chocolate over Hazelnuts and leave to cool. My choice of covering for the cherry thumbprints is white chocolate, but you can use whatever you like 🙂
Austrian Vanilla Crescents
Servings: 30 cookies
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes + 30 minutes in fridge to chill
Time spent in oven baking at 200°C/400°F: 10 – 15 minutes
- 265g Plain Flour
- 1g Salt
- 200g Butter
- 60g Icing/Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 15g Vanilla Sugar
- 180g Ground Almonds
- Combine the flour with the salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut the butter into pieces and mix into flour with your hands.
- Then, add icing sugar, egg, vanilla sugar and ground almonds to the flour-butter mix. Combine well, shape dough into ball and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Seperate dough into about 3 parts and make rolls that are about 1 inch thick. Cut these into 1 inch pieces.
- Shape the 1 inch pieces into the shape of a crescent and place on baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 200°C/400°F for 10 t 15 minutes or until slightly golden underneath. Remove them carefully from tray. Dip the crecents carefully into a mix of icing and vanilla sugar while they are still warm and leave to cool. Alternatively, you can dip half the cookie in melted chocolate.